A trend we are seeing more and more of are polished concrete floors within the home. This flooring option is becoming more popular for a number of reasons, the most obvious being the look. A polished concrete floor gives a beautiful, clean and industrial look. However, before jumping on board, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of this flooring option for your home.
Pros of Polished Concrete Floors
- Durability: One of the main advantages is their resilience. They can withstand heavy foot traffic, scratches, and spills without sustaining damage, making them a more practical option for busy households.
- Low Maintenance: Polished concrete floors require little maintenance. They can be easily cleaned with a damp mop or a neutral pH cleaner, making them ideal for families who don’t always have the time to prioritize floor cleaning.
- Energy Efficient: This type of floor can help to better regulate temperature within a home, which can save on heating and cooling costs.
- Customizable: Polished concrete floors can be customized to fit a variety of styles and preferences. Homeowners can choose from a range of colors, patterns, and finishes to match the rest of the interior decor within the home.
Cons of Polished Concrete Floors
- Hardness: The hardness of concrete can be uncomfortable to stand on for extended periods, making it less suitable for homes with young children or an elderly parent. However, this is nothing that a beautiful and comfy throw rug can’t fix!
- Cost: The cost of installing and polishing a concrete floor can be higher than traditional flooring options, especially if the concrete needs to be poured and finished. Although more traditional flooring options may be more cost effective upfront, polished concrete floors are built to last.
- Slippery: Like most floors, polished concrete floors can be slippery when wet. This is always a safety concern for those who may require a little help getting around, so it’s important to let everyone in the household know when the floor is being mopped.
- Susceptible to Stains: They can be prone to staining if spills are left uncleaned for an extended period of time. As long as you keep on top of spills, you have nothing to worry about!
Frequently Asked Questions about Polished Concrete Floors
- How long does it take to install and polish concrete floors?
The installation time for this type of flooring option depends on several factors, such as the size of the space and the condition of the concrete. Typically, installation can take 1-3 days.
- Can they be installed over existing concrete?
Yes, polished concrete floors can be installed over existing concrete. However, the condition of the existing concrete will need to be assessed before installation can begin, as it needs to be pristine (i.e. free from cracks, pits, stains, and other imperfections like if the concrete floor is unlevel).
- How do I clean and maintain polished concrete floors?
Maintenance is easy! Sweeping or vacuuming regularly and cleaning with a damp mop or a neutral pH cleaner will do the trick.
- How much does it cost to install?
The cost of installation can vary depending on several factors, such as the size of the space, the condition of the concrete, the desired finish and the flooring contractors you choose. This is a big decision for your home, so we highly recommend receiving quotes from a few professionals in the area, reading their online reviews and asking to see photos of their work. You truly get what you pay for when it comes to epoxy and concrete floor installations, so it’s crucial not to sacrifice on quality.
- Are polished concrete floors environmentally-friendly?
They are an environmentally-friendly option as they are made from natural materials, and the polishing process does not require the use of harmful chemicals or adhesives.
Professional Concrete Floor Installations in New Jersey
As we mentioned before, you absolutely get what you pay for when it comes to sealing and polishing your concrete floor. Taking shortcuts like not properly repairing the concrete surface before polishing the floor will lead to a “finished” product that you are not satisfied with, and will not stand the test of time. Complete concrete floor repair and polishing is meticulous, dusty, labor-intensive work that requires more than a skilled hand. It is one of those jobs that is best left to an experienced epoxy and concrete floor installation team. Diamond Garage Solutions in NJ has high-quality, environmentally-safe materials, experienced team members, and industrial-grade equipment to repair and polish your concrete floor with a beautiful finish for many years to come.
To learn more about how we polish concrete floors to perfection, please visit our website at: https://diamondgaragesolutions.com/