Today’s homeowners have so many flooring options to choose from – but when it comes to durability and easy maintenance, epoxy floors and sealed concrete take the cake. However, there are some key differences to be aware of for each option. So, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of epoxy vs. sealed concrete floors so you can make the most informed decision for your space.
What is a sealed concrete floor?
Concrete sealers are a siliconate, silane, or acrylic liquid product that you can have applied to your existing concrete floor. There are a wide range of sealant products available, so it’s important to prioritize a high-quality product that offers the benefits you are looking for. Here’s a better breakdown:
- Seals the natural pores in concrete, increasing its moisture resistance
- Protects flooring from the impact of freeze/thaw cycles that lead to cracking and weathering
- Helps improve stain resistance to prevent discoloration from chemicals, dirt, and mold
- Protects from minor corrosion from salt, chemicals, and traffic
- Can give the flooring a more polished look
- Needs reapplication every 5 years, even in the best conditions
- Any existing wear or damage in the concrete must be repaired before application
- Can be difficult to find a high-quality product
- Better for spaces that only get light wear – patios, basements, and indoor surfaces with light traffic
- Not customizable – usually available as a clear or slightly tinted finish
What is an epoxy floor?
This is an additional surface layer made of polymer resin and hardeners that is applied to a concrete floor. It’s thicker and more durable than a concrete sealant, and like sealants, there are a wide range of products available that differ in terms of performance and durability. Here are some more details:
- It offers the best moisture protection, making the floor impervious to liquids
- Very high stain resistance, protecting the floor from dirt, chemical and oil spills, as well as staining liquids
- It is fully mold resistant
- It protects flooring against corrosion
- Flooring has slight flexibility, preventing cracking from freeze/thaw cycles or damage from dropped or heavy items
- Has a wide range of color and texture options, making it highly customizable for your space
- It’s smooth but completely non-slip
- Very easy to maintain, requires no chemical cleaners, just vacuuming or sweeping and cleaning with a damp mop
- Can last up to a lifetime with no need for repairs or resurfacing
- Minor damage can be easily filled
- Ideal for spaces with low to high traffic, including basements, bathrooms, garages, driveways, homes, businesses, warehouses, and workshops
- Can be installed almost all year round
- Should not be DIY installed as there is a high risk of bubbles and bonding failure
- The existing concrete must be repaired prior to installation
- Very important to get a high-quality epoxy product that lasts
Put your floor in the right hands – Get the best contractor in NJ for your home’s epoxy flooring
Diamond Garage Solutions specializes in epoxy floor installation in NJ and the tristate area, offering over 20 years of combined industry experience with a superior-quality product that has a lifetime warranty. Our projects include small-scale residential and large-scale commercial and industrial grade epoxy floor solutions throughout New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut.
To find out more about the benefits of a professionally installed commercial and residential epoxy floor, please visit our website at: https://diamondgaragesolutions.com/self-leveling-concrete-epoxy/