Whether you have epoxy flooring in your garage, basement, or even throughout your home, proper maintenance is a non-negotiable to keep it looking pristine for years to come. In this article, our NJ epoxy flooring contractors will provide you with practical maintenance tips. These tips will help you with proper cleaning, preventive measures to take, and how to address common issues, ensuring your epoxy floors remain in tip-top shape for many years!
Epoxy Floor Cleaning Tips
Regular cleaning is essential to maintaining the beauty of your epoxy flooring, but be careful what chemicals you use as some cleaners can damage a finish. Here are some cleaning techniques to follow:
- Sweep or vacuum the floor regularly to remove loose dirt and debris that can cause scratches.
- Use a soft-bristle broom or dust mop to avoid scratching the surface.
- Wipe spills immediately using a soft cloth or paper towel to prevent stains.
- For a good, deep clean, mop the floor with a mild detergent mixed with warm water.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that can dam
- NEVER, use acids or bleach based cleaners on your epoxy floor!
Taking preventive measures can significantly extend the lifespan of your epoxy flooring. Consider the following tips:
- Place door mats or rugs at entry points to trap dirt and moisture, preventing them from being tracked onto your floor.
- Use furniture pads to protect the epoxy surface from scratches caused by dragging or moving furniture.
- Avoid dropping heavy or sharp objects directly onto the floor as they can cause chips or cracks in the epoxy coating.
- Apply a protective topcoat every few years to enhance the durability and longevity of your epoxy flooring. We recommend consulting a professional to ensure the topcoat is evenly applied across the surface – you don’t want any dips, cracks or wrinkles on top of your floor.
Addressing scratches and stains. Even with proper care, no epoxy floor is safe from the occasional stain or scuff. Here’s how to fix those common issues:
- For stubborn stains, create a paste using baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the stained area, let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub gently with a soft brush. Rinse thoroughly and repeat if necessary.
- For minor scratches, use a non-abrasive polishing compound or a fine-grit sandpaper to gently buff the affected area. Then have your contractor follow up with a coat of epoxy floor finish to restore the shine.
Protection from UV damage. Direct sunlight exposure can cause epoxy floors to yellow or fade over time. To protect against the sun’s harmful rays, we recommending the following:
- Install blinds or curtains to limit the amount of sunlight entering the room.
- Ask your epoxy flooring professional about applying a UV-resistant topcoat. This additional layer will provide extra protection against UV rays and help maintain the floor’s color and gloss.
Professional epoxy flooring maintenance in New Jersey
Always remember to consult with professionals like Diamond Garage Solutions in New Jersey for specific recommendations and assistance with maintenance, repairs, or refinishing. Using the wrong cleaner or applying a shoddy topcoat can make or break the condition of your epoxy floor. With proper care, your floor will continue to impress visitors and provide a stunning foundation for your home.
To learn more about our epoxy floor installations in New Jersey, please visit our website at: https://diamondgaragesolutions.com/